Practice Areas for the Dan Makled Law Firm
Personal Injury—Personal injury was the legal area Dan chose to make a difference in the lives of others. When a person is injured through the negligence of another, they are often left with severe injuries, perhaps unable to work and make a living, with pain and emotional trauma that may last for months, years, or even forever. Personal injury cases challenge Dan to work his legal “magic,” working hard for every single client. The goal of every insurance company is its financial bottom line. This means insurers will go to any lengths to minimize the damages in each claim, paying out as little as possible. When a person does not have quality representation, these injured victims may be taken advantage of by the insurance company. Personal injury lawyer Dan Makled enjoys stepping in and fighting the case to a victory for his clients. Dan can assist you with any of the following types of personal injury claims.
- Car accidents are the most common type of personal injury claim. This is due to the fact that most car accidents are caused by driver error. This driver error could be in the form of driver distraction, driver fatigue, careless or reckless driving, or driver impairment. Other causes of car accidents include inclement weather, poor road conditions, or defective automobile parts.
- Slip and fall accidents are also very common. Owners are responsible for keeping their property safe and free from hazards. If they fail to do so and a person is injured on the property in a slip and fall accident, the owner is responsible for the damages. There are three classifications of visitor—an invitee, a licensee, and a trespasser. Invitees are those who are either explicitly or implicitly invited onto the property. When you go to the grocery store to shop, you are considered an invitee. A licensee is a person invited to a personal residence. If your next-door neighbor invites you to a Christmas party, you are considered a licensee and are protected like invitees against hazards. Trespassers have few rights on another’s property, except for children when the property has what is considered an “attractive nuisance,” on the property, like a swimming pool. In this case, the pool must be fenced off so that children cannot access it on their own.
- Dog bite injuries fall under premises liability, like slip and fall accidents. In the state of Michigan, dog owners are responsible when their dog bites someone, so long as the dog was not provoked, and the person bitten was not trespassing. While some states have a “one-bite law,” Michigan does not. This means the dog owner did not have to have prior knowledge that the dog might be inclined to bite.
- Nursing home neglect and abuse are among the most difficult personal injury claims. When you leave your loved one in a nursing home, you expect they will be safe, and well-taken care of. When they are not fed or given water regularly, or their personal hygiene or medical needs are ignored or neglected, nursing home neglect has occurred. Nursing home neglect differs from nursing home abuse in that it is not usually deliberate but could happen due to lazy or indifferent employees or too many residents for the number of employees.
- Motorcycle accidents often result in severe injuries or death for the motorcyclist. Motorcyclists have virtually no protection other than a helmet. Because of this, they can have extremely serious injuries, including spinal cord injuries and traumatic brain injuries. The effects of this type of injury can last a lifetime, costing hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical expenses, rehabilitative expenses, and lost wages.
- Truck accidents, due to the size disparity between a truck and a passenger vehicle, can also result in severe or catastrophic injuries, or death. A fully loaded truck can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds, while the average passenger vehicle weighs about 3,000 or 3,500 pounds. Like those involved in motorcycle accidents, truck accident victims can spend the remainder of their life dealing with the aftermath of their injuries. They may never be able to return to work and make a living or return to their normal lives.
- Uber/rideshare accidents are increasingly common, as more and more rideshare vehicles are out on the roadways. These types of accidents can be extremely complex, requiring a highly experienced personal injury lawyer to sort out who is liable and who to collect damages from.